Have you ever thought about what is the dirtiest area of your house? Thinking about the washrooms? No, one of the dirtiest areas of your house is the basement. Do you know why? At the time of the cleaning process, most people skip basement cleaning. The biggest reason for that is nobody is going to look at it.
When a guest visits your home they usually gather in the drawing room and leave. Then you think about the need to clean the basement and you close the basement door like it does not exist.
Why clean the Basement?
Cleaning the basement matter’s a lot for your house’s health and safety. Cleaning does not mean just removing the dust and stains from the floor, it means you need to check very carefully every inch of the basement because all the lines come into your house from the basement and if any pipe gets a leak, it would cost you a huge amount of money shortly. It is the base of your house that’s why we called it the basement. Hence basement cleaning is necessary from time to time, for your home health and safety.
Steps to clean the basement:
- Make a list of the goods stored in the basement and check which need to be restored, recycled, and reused.
- Take out all the storage from the basement and check the area of corners, walls, and floor for any water damage or cracks. Make sure the bulb and the other electric sockets, If you found one which can create a problem, then repair it.
- It’s time to get your hands dirty, yes, this is what you are thinking. Take the broom and mop and get ready to clean the floor.
- Once basement cleaning is done, now is the time to put everything which you need to keep in the basement, put it back, and throw away the trash in the trash bin.
For basement cleaning, you need some cleaning supplies, some of them are essential and some of them are optional. Let’s make the checklist:
Essential Cleaning supplies:
- rubber gloves
- Microfiber cloth
- Cleaning products
Optional Cleaning supplies:
- Large push broom
- Dust protector mask
- Green cleaning products
- Vacuum cleaner (Heavy Duty)
Precaution While cleaning the basement:
- Pay attention to the floor type. Properly check the type of floor if the concrete sealed floor is waterproof or if the concrete unsealed floor is not waterproof. If you have no idea how to do it, take professional help.
- Try to avoid the use of white vinegar, ammonia, and bleach on the floor. The reason behind that is these products release gases that can be poisonous and as you are cleaning the basement it means the ventilation would not be that much like another area of the house.
- The moment the basement cleaning is done, wait to dry the floor before placing everything in its original position.
The cleaning process of the basement is very necessary from time to time. You can also make the schedule for the basement cleaning such as weekly, monthly, or quarterly. At any moment you are not confident about the cleaning process you are following for your basement, don’t hesitate to take professional help.